Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and the state of health emergency declared in Quebec, the Ordre des dentistes du Québec requires dentists to treat only dental emergencies.
Is my issue urgent?
You can see your dentist ONLY if you have a dental emergency.
If you present one of the following conditions, please contact your dentist immediately:
- Severe pain
- Significant or prolonged bleeding
- Oral trauma requiring immediate attention
Please note that the following dental issues do not constitute an emergency and will need to be postponed:
- Broken tooth or lost filling not causing any pain
- Routine examination, cleaning and X-raysTeeth whitening
- Adjustment/repair of certain dental appliances
- See the patient guide on orthodontic treatment during a pandemic
What should I do if my issue is urgent?
During the pandemic, dental clinics are only allowed to provide emergency care.
- Immediately call or email your dental clinic or a dental clinic in your area and follow the emergency instructions provided.
- A dentist will contact you to assess the level of emergency of your issue.
- If it is not your regular dentist, he or she will ask you for the name of your dentist in order to have access to your patient file.
- The dentist could ask you to send pictures and, as needed, prescribe medications to solve the problem.
- If medication is not the right solution, the dentist could ask you to come to the dental clinic for treatment. If the dentist is unable to provide the treatment you need, he or she will refer you to another clinic offering emergency care.