If you wear dentures, it is important to keep them clean. Dental plaque builds up in your mouth and on your dentures every day. If it is not removed, it can lead to infection or illness.
What you need to remember:
- Remove your dentures at night, to give your mouth and gums a rest. After cleaning your dentures, store them in lukewarm water so that they keep their shape. There are many soaking solutions available for dentures. Use a solution of half vinegar and half water from time to time to remove the build-up of tartar.
- Your dentures may need adjusting on occasion to keep them efficient and comfortable. See your dentist regularly, to have a complete examination of your mouth.
Cleaning your dentures
- Brush your dentures over a sink either full of water or with a towel in the bottom, to make sure they don’t break if you drop them.
- Use a brush specially designed for dentures, preferably with soft bristles.
- Use water and gentle toothpaste specially formulated for dentures.